Summer is here and wow - what gorgeous weather we’ve had! With everything finally re-opened in Ontario, this is the perfect time to go on an adventure!
Here are three itinerary suggestions to get you out of the house, exploring both nature-based and urban settings.
Sunny Skies & Downtown Vibes
PERFECT FOR: Flying solo, couples, best friends or even a small group
- Start your day at home with coffee from local roaster O-JOE, a slice of fresh bread or bagels from La Noisette Bakery and some mouth-watering Heeman’s strawberries.
- You’ll want to fuel up before heading out mid-morning to hike through Kains Woods. This trail is dog-friendly too! At this time of day, you’ll beat the height of daily temperatures.
- Head home to freshen up, then depart for an afternoon in the downtown core. Enjoy one of the many patios and support a local restaurateur - I love The Church Key Bistro-Pub!
- After lunch, take a walk down Richmond Row to pursue a few stores or just enjoy some window shopping. I can’t get enough of Grow and Bloom, Folklore Candle Co. and Lofthouse Living.
- Continue North to Haven’s Creamery at Richmond and Piccadilly for delicious, handmade ice cream - enjoy it on their patio or walk back to relax in Victoria Park.
What you’ll need:
A good pair of running shoes, sunscreen, bug spray, reusable water bottle and reusable shopping bag.
PERFECT FOR: Families with young children
- If you’ve got young kiddos (like I do) then you’re ready to start your day bright and early! Make things easier by grabbing BoxCar donuts the day before to wake up to a yummy, sweet treat.
- Take a walk mid-morning and engage your kids with a neighbourhood scavenger hunt. Pinterest has been my best friend throughout quarantine - I love the FREE printable offerings here
- Once back home, have the kids help you pack up a picnic and gather a few outdoor game items like a soccer ball, bubbles, badminton set, etc. Grab a towel and put on your bathing suit - Gibbons Park is your afternoon oasis. Kids (and adults) can enjoy the splash pad to beat the heat, hunker down in the shade for your picnic, and let your kids run that energy out!
What you’ll need:
Scavenger hunt printable, sunscreen, bathing suit, towel, outdoor play activities, picnic blanket and picnic lunch.
PERFECT FOR: Couples, families with older children, or friends
- Get out your bike, roller blades or a pair of running shoes and head for the trails in Springbank Park. Loop around the park itself or complete the Greenway Park Trail.
- Head over for lunch on the patio at Sweet Onion Bistro or Bernie’s Bar and Grill.
- Spend the afternoon at the Treetop Adventure Park at Boler Mountain. With courses for every experience level, you’re sure to have fun and feel a sense of accomplishment after mastering the rope courses high in the sky.
- Round out your experience with drinks or a snack on The Patio - you’ve earned it!
What you’ll need:
Running shoes, bike or roller blades (optional) and sunscreen.
To quote Bilbo Baggins, “it's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.” I hope these itineraries have given you some inspiration about where you can set off to.
Get outdoors, soak up the summer, and enjoy your forest city!
The Curated Suitcase specializes in custom itinerary creation and contributes annually to activities of social impact inspired by our client's travel experiences. Our mission is to assist clients in traveling to new destinations and returning to beloved places, helping them to approach their journey as a traveler not just a tourist, and seek authentic experiences where they can learn about the people, culture, history and wonders of the places they visit.
Travel has the ability to open your eyes, challenge your perceptions and beliefs, educate, and inspire. It provides experiences that take your breath away, and ones that motivate you to stand up for something and make your voice heard. Travel can and should change you. If we seek to understand the world, through experiencing the world, then we are poised to change the world.